Once upon a time, a grandiose home was the height of sophistication. Nowadays, however, smaller spaces are gaining attention from people of all kinds, particularly trendsetters in Denver. With a little planning, the affordability and coziness of a small apartment or tiny house no longer have to cost you style or comfort. As you furnish and decorate your space, take advantage of our tips on how to make a small room look bigger.
Keep floors visible and open, like a landscape painter’s background. Place furniture with care, generally against walls instead of dividing the room, to develop a sense of spaciousness.
- In most cases, one should forego smaller furniture items in favor of larger ones. These give weight and elegance to specific areas, whereas smaller items can create that cluttered feeling.
- Never underestimate the importance of the ceiling. Dark colors create weight and stifle light waves, but if the ceiling is low, changing the paint to white on the ceiling can actually make it seem lower than it is because your attention is drawn to the color change.
- Make moderate and tasteful use of shelf spaces near the ceiling. This can help to enhance the height of the room by drawing the eye upward.
- A striped carpet can do miraculous things for a room’s length. It’s easy to go too bold without a little expert advice, but this is a lovely way to communicate depth and movement.
- Windows are wonderful, so keep them uncovered. Carefully choose the color of your draperies to give the wall even less weight and connect the room more to the outdoors. Draperies should not contrast too much to the color of the wall, but when in doubt, err on the side of light colors.
- Perhaps the easiest and most useful of all, mirrors are an attractive way to multiply both light and the appearance of space. Use them opposite windows and in clever positions relative to each other. You’ll love the effect.
Whether your style is more bold or subtle, there are ways to decorate a small space to match every personality. When the time comes to get an expert guide for your unique design in Denver, feel invited to reach out to Viridis Design Studio. We’re honored to be known for standout interior design in Denver, CO and would love to make your dreams come true for your small space.